Monday, August 15, 2005

A week ago I have been humbled by a small event in my life. And in a flash, a few of my unforgettable memories during college played in my mind. College was the best time of my life as a teen. Because it was probably the first time that my parents gave me the responsibility to steer my own life. I have partial responsibilities of course, I didn't pay for my education, lodging etc. But I have general control over my career. In spite of all the good luck and grand wishes that everyone in the family gave me I did not see that failure is just lurking around the corners waiting for me. I learned then that life has its turns…some good and some are just terribly bad. And even the most careful person in the world can make a mistake. It might not even be my fault anyways, but it'll still be counted as mine. Here are some things do when you're down:

--Learn to admit your own fault. Specially the ones that you can't change. There is a passage in the Bible about that, I forgot. Remember that there are things that your powers can't undo.

--Prepare for a major disaster just incase you crash and burn. (This involves lots of vodka! It fuels the pain, but after burning you feel like a Phoenix being reborn in your own ashes.)

--Never hit the wall with your bare hands. It hurts!!!

--When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand. And nothing is going right…You've got a friend. No matter where you are, even in the shittiest places, your friends are there for you. In a click of a mouse, a phone call, a knock on the door…a ring on your bell… a tap on your window too!

--Never vent too hard on your friends especially when you look like the hulk. Too scary!

--Reflect on these quotes:
"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going."
"Try and try until you succeed."
"Always give yourself another chance. You're the best friend you have."
"Reflective thinking turns experience into insight."
"Change brings freshness."
"Anger is the most impotent of passions. It affects nothing it touches and hurts the one who is possessed by it more than the one against whom it is directed."
"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it."

--Listen to Parokya Ni Edgar's "Buloy"…you might pick up a thing or two.

--Correct your mistakes. I don't believe that it's never too late to do that. There is always a second chance.

If it doesn't work, go back to the part where I wrote vodka and start all over again. Its difficult having a bad week.

Cheers!

posted by Dennis

No comments: