Monday, February 21, 2005

WEDDING FILE 3: "IN OR OUT" ('AM I IN OR OUT?)

"IN OR OUT", this is what Korean teenie bopper Sandara Park is singing now a days. I hate this song but it somehow got stuck in my mind together with the Filipino radio stations catch phrase "Kailangan pa ba'ng i-memorize yan?!" To tell you the truth, I have never imagined that my countrymen would be this corny. The melody is a mix of childrens songs fused with Charismatic melodies. WTF is going on?! With the number of coffee shops mushrooming all over the country I have always thought that we are heading towards the cappuccino fad or the elite culture. But what is this? It has been 4 long years since I left the homeland and look at how these bubblegum songs thrive! Nevermind the Sexbomb Dancers or the Viva Hot Babes. They are so cute even if they look dumb while they sing their cheap songs...ahhhh... NO OFFENSE GIRLS! I'm a big fan of yours!

So what is the connection about Sandara's song to my story? This song popped up in my head after the Pamanhikan - (asking the girl's parents for their daughter's hand). My head was still hanging on cloud 9 after it was over and done. But the question was, am I in or out? (ok! I better stop saying the in or out phrase because I know that some of you are already having goosebumps. hehehe) I think that I'm in! The event was a success! I managed to patch things up with dear o'l mama Mila, meet the family, and my family seems to like Lany's family. We finally got it made! So to hell with Sandara and her sick song!....although I still can't get it off my mind! Damn it! =(

The next day we were already working our butts off finding a real nice Barong for me (Traditional Filipino Mens wear. A formal attire for a very formal occasion like a wedding or for funeral...sounds synonymous right? Just kidding!). It is so hard to find a nice one in Divisoria. Most of of the designs are old and floral. And trust me I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a floral Barong! I a very picky person when it comes to these things. And what made me more pickier, is the fact that I'm the only one in the entourage to not have a barong yet! Lany's parents had already bought a very snazy design made of Pina Suqsoq (Pineapple (flavor...NOT!) fabric. One of the expensive variety). So, the thing here is that I have to exceed the beautiful fabric they have. I have to be unique. Afterall, I'm the freakin groom!

During the barong hunt in Divisoria I was with Lany and her mom. We have several errands at that time. One of which is to go to the printing press to hand in the final proofing of the invitation. And let me tell you, it wasn't easy to find this place. Lany found this press on the internet. They were suppose to make very good quality invitations for a very reasonable price. But the catch is, its very hard to find the place especially if you dont know the Binondo area (China Town). At that time I forgot to bring the address, which makes it more difficult to find the place. Stupid huh? So who knows the place better than the residents right? But it is also dangerous to ask just anyone from this place. Divisoria and Binondo is a haven for pick pockets and hooligans. We figured it is best to ask the Diaguars! (Pretty macho name for "guradia" huh? Astig no? Tagalog slang for security guards.) Most of them don’t know the street. Some of them were just plain dumb and pointed us to the wrong direction. Anyway, we found ourselves lost and drifting to a familiar Chinese deli… ENG BEE TEN. This place rocks for selling the best hopia and tikoy in town. It was packed with costumers buying their new year supplies. My mouth was already watering from the smell of their goodies. Yum! Yum!

After falling in line at the cashier, I found out that it was my destiny to become a porter. Mama Mila bought a dozen tikoy (Chinese rice cake) to give to their relatives in the province. (…she’s not Chinese…) That’s how thoughtful she is.

After shopping we tried to hire a pedicab to find the street. But these guys are asking us for a lot of money so I figured that we just ask the other security guards near Binondo Chruch. We asked a couple and marched our way towards nearby bridge. Much to our surprise, there was a man tailing us. Before we got to the bridge he was already volunteering to take us there…the fishy part is that he wants to take us to use the other route. If I was not there, my honey and her mom would have been held up. The man was so nice that you wouldn’t get a hint that he is luring us away. Then I said: “We don’t know this guy! And we didn’t even ask him to help us in the first place, so why follow him?” So we walked as fast as we could. On the way I asked for my pen. Maybe I can use it as a weapon! Right then I felt my senses heightened, like a wolf. I try to keep my pace as I peer to my sides. Constantly looking for the danger that might surprise us.

In minute I saw a man who just popped behind us. I tried to look tough. I tell you, if somebody touches me at that time I would have sprung to my Kung-Fu mode! I was already reviewing the enemies weak points and martial techniques in my head. And if these men touches a hair on my honey I will definitely kick their ass! Whoaaa!!!

When we got to Metrobank, we were scared shitless about our stalker. He just disappeared! Good thing that the nice security guard pointed us in the right direction. And as soon as the coast is clear, we hurriedly walked towards the printing press. But as we turned, Lany has spotted the scary looking guy standing near a sari-sari store waiting for us! He might be a professional stalker/hoodlum, but he aint no match for our feet! damn were fast!

Even evil has its limitations. After an hour at the printing press I guess the fugly man left us. He knows how fast we were on foot. I'm thankful that nothing bad had happen to us that day. Just a brush with danger, thats all. But it has its advantages. Atleast my dear mama Mila knows that I won't let nothing bad happen to her daughter. And thats 100 pogi points for me!

As the day went by we found ourselves at SM Manila scouting for barong. I'm so picky! I still cant find the perfect one. Our invitations were redesigned and ready before Christmas. And I have another experience to blog about.

posted by: Dennis

No comments: