Monday, February 07, 2005

WEDDING FILE 2: "MANO PO 2"

Mano Po 2, continued...

As you might have guessed, there is a "Mano Po 3" after this blog. I'm sorry if I have written a long one. But you've made it this far. => so whats the point of quitting!?

So there I was cornerd. My plans of perfection was shattered. To tell you the truth I really hate it when my plans don't work out. No matter how small it is, the disappointment that I feel is huge. Although for years I try to remove this bad habit from me.

When Lany, Daddy Tony, and Mama Mila got to my town I took my better half and rushed home. It was rude of me not to have entertain them, or even invite them to have some refreshements at nearby fastfood shop. But I know that this is all for the better.

We had a quick lunch and ask my aunt to help us find her friend at the town hall for our marriage liscence. In most of the government offices it pays to have someone you know. It somehow removes the red tape, and moves your document request forward. Ofcourse, we need to lube it up with money grease! How convinient! At that time, we only did not bring extra lubricant, we also brought imported soap as opposed to their request of chocolates. Unfortunately, sorry for them. My chocolate supply had been consumed by relatives and friends in a matter of 3 days! Hah! Beat that record! Hehehe!

The processing of the marriage liscense was a breeze. There is nothing that a motivated government employee couldn’t do if they just put their mind to it. Thanks to my Tita Wena and her friends, things were easy for us. They were even kind enough to exempt us from the Family Planning Seminar. Anyway, there is nothing that the FPS can give us. We are medical professionals! I myself work at an IVF Center which deals with infertility day in and day out. I probably know more than them. Their kind of seminar is the “Family Planning: For Dummies” type. Yes its true! My friend Ferdie told me all about it. He said that they gave him the wrong instructions for the Billing Method (the rhythm or the calendar method of contraception). Therefore, giving his wife 2 pregnancies in a span of 1 year! Wow!

We finished about 3pm, then we headed to my place to prepare for the main event. The whole household was busy. We prepared a welcome gift to them, composed of fresh sea food, Pancit Malabon, Puto and a bottle of brandy. If there was room for fish sauce I would have generously bought some. But, there need to be room for the relatives in the vehicle. We are packed like sardines in one Tamaraw Fx (Pirated version! Who disguises to have an air-conditioning system that doesn’t work at all.) care of our helpful neighbor Ajie Martin. Thank you very much sir!

At past 4pm, although I know that we are going to be very late, our long time family friends (the neighborhood tambay’s) gave us a warm sarcastic send out! My father was so excited that he told all of them that we are going to my future in-laws to do the pinoy tradition, the pamamanhikan. Its his first time kasi, that’s why. Anyhow, we embarked on our long journey to the far far away land of Fairview. On the way there we Tito Marcelo was on a roll cracking jokes left and right followed by my dad’s smart alec remarks. It would have been a riot if I wasn’t nervous. I know that something fishy is going to happen to me.

If there was one thing that I could wish give our country , I would wish that we don’t have “traffic”. Its been 2 hours and we’re still in Sauyo road. My dad who had been experiencing a discomfort in his stomach was begging that he be let out of the vehicle or be dropped to his brother’s place in Novaliches. He couldn’t bear shitting on my in laws toilet and spreading his lethal gas. I would cause a big embarrassment on our part. Poor dad, he is sweating bullets. I know that he is going to explode. I have to agree that we have to drop him at my Tito Ernesto’s place.

When we got there, my father immediately jumped out of the vehicle and rang the door bell. I could see from his eyes that he is using his x-ray vision and heat vision to get through the steel door while he waits for the maid to open up. He must go or else! Hehehe! The consequence for not visiting your relatives for so long is that, the household doesn’t know you. Specially the new once, like this housemaid. She wouldn’t let us in without a clearance from her boss. After a few more minutes, Tita Sianing opened the gate. She looks stupefied by the sight of us. She didn’t have an idea why the hell we were there! After a few seconds of rubbing her eyes, she welcomed us with open arms. Dad was quick! As soon as the door opened he already rushed to the toilet to find his ZEN.

We were received at the family’s sala. Tita Agring (my cousin Ria’s mom) and my mom reminisced the past. How much they have grown old, and how fast the kids were growing, preparations for my wedding etc. etc. Not that I mind, but we are so late! And so, as soon as my dad showed up I gave them the signal to go. Lany’s mom has already been calling her mobile now.

When we got to the Caras territory there were already men having drinks at gate. After a few seconds, Daddy Tony had already made himself visible and gave us a warm welcome. I gave him the Mano Po, then introduced my parents. Tita Glo came out and gave a cheerful greeting while Mommy Mila gave a mysterious smile….Oh no! That mysterious smile again!


To be continued…

Does Marina prefer fish balls rather than squid balls? Will the Mulawin clan die from bird flu? Tune in next time as the drama unfolds in “Mano Po 3”!!!

No comments: