Friday, February 18, 2005

MANO PO 3 (LAST PART NA PO!)

Mano Po 3 continued…

This is the last of the mano po series. It's hard to finish this with my busy schedule. Nowadays time is a luxury thing for me. But I have to finish…Your imagination might be running wild after mano po 2. So before my blog becomes misinterpreted, here is the rest of the story.

We were received warmly by Lany's family. Everybody is wearing their best smile. I have seen Daddy Tony receive guest before, but this time it's more personal. I'm glad everything is running smoothly. How wonderful! But I still can't remove this funny feeling inside me…

I try to become a part of the household and make myself useful. I figured this is the time to practice being a family. So in my own little way I try and help them. But it's hard to be helpful if you have Che-che around. She is the second eldest in the family. She put herself in charge of overseeing that everything is in order.

After gathering everyone in the sala, the old folks went to their strategic position. Brandy has been served to the men, and light refreshment for the women. At the sight of it, looks like it's only going to be an acquaintance party. But after a few minutes everything fell into position. Like a chess game. Touch move!

We were in the center, like two stranded individuals in an island surrounded by sharks! Daddy Tony is firing the questions left and right. I can't remember everything. My mind at that time was blocked and in a shock. The questions become personal, while the one answering questions is getting loaded with brandy. Thank God that all the questions were properly answered. Lany and I are so tensed! Especially when it was her moms turn to speak.

I knew that there is something wrong with the way she looks at me. She told everyone how she felt about me. And being a parent, I know that it is her right. And that she is only being protective about her daughter. She made it clear that she doesn’t like what she saw in me that morning. She didn’t like the fact that I am impatient when it comes to waiting. She doesn’t like the idea that I left the meeting place despite the fact that they are late. It comes to her that I am not right for her daughter. I know that I am not at fault. Lany knows it! She kept whispering “I’m sorry” to my ears as the roasting goes on. She tried to shield me, and explain why those things happened. And it's entirely her fault that she didn’t communicate with me at all. Clearly I was misunderstood. I tried to reason out, but her mind was set on it. For her “Dennis spells EVIL” no matter how you mix the letters.

The debate concluded with good remarks coming from the head of the household. We all ate a delicious meal care of yours truly and Lany’s family. All the men went outside to continue the male bonding that they so enjoyed. Our women stayed in the sala where they entertained themselves singing songs from the videoke. I, on the other hand felt like Osama bin Laden. I wanted to tunnel underground and hide myself in shame.

I joined the men and try to be with bond with them. I felt good knowing that my father and Lany’s father were getting along so well! The two bigotillo’s (men with mustache) are really connecting. Advice comes very cheap that night. They really wanted our relationship to work!

And as the night becomes deeper, I knew that I have an obligation to explain myself to Lany’s mom. And when we were ready to go home, I found her in the kitchen alone. It's my chance! I held her hand and thanked her for the nice reception that we had in their house. No hospitality can compare to what they have done for my family.

I tried to explain to her what had happened that morning. And that there was a miscommunication between me and her daughter. I couldn’t remember my exact words, but I knew I got through her. So, in that very spot, we settled our differences. At last, we buried the hatchet and try to understand each other. It’s the start of a good relationship…

So we said our goodbyes, and went home. Another page of our book has been turned. Now its time to move on with the wedding preparation. It's only a few weeks before our wedding. We need to pull ourselves together and make it happen. And for the meantime, I can finally sleep and stop worrying. No blood has been spilled. Peace reigns.

THE END (with a capital "T" for tikoy)

Hey Doc Philip! I saw your moms pic at Chito Vecina's webpage. Why is she crying? Chito is one of the best photojournalist in Pinas. We love how he covered our wedding. He's a real master!

Posted By: Dennis

No comments: