Wednesday, January 25, 2006

INSOMNIAC

INSOMNIAC

There was a time in my life when sleep was less of a priority, especially during high school. My friends would brag about watching the “Head-bangers Ball” on MTV a little before 2am on a regular basis. As an avid fan of heavy metal music, and wanting to be in the “in crowd” I needed to be awake rather than sleep after 9pm. At first, I was the worst wannabe-insomniac you can ever meet. From my bedtime of 9pm, I can only stay up until 12 midnight. There were times when I managed to stay up until 1:30am and fall asleep just before my favorite show starts. (sanababits!!!) Or there were occasions when I made it through 3am (yahoo!!!) and forget that the show was not going to air because it’s a Sunday.

During college, less sleep is required to keep up with my studies. (yes, I studied…) Having a 7am to 7pm schedule kept me occupied most of those years. And when I got to internship I literally have to stay awake during night shifts at the hospital. It continued until I started to work in the hospital for 5 years.

After going abroad and having a permanent A.M. shift, I forgot all about staying up late at night. Even the habit of staying awake when I had problems became non-existent. I learned to sleep through it, which was a blessing (I know it’s unnatural.) Now I have to re-learn the whole thing because of Diego. There coffee I know, but sometimes it’s really hard. Sometimes I wanted to do the Ibong Adarna technique but it’s too painful. (When you feel sleepy slice your forearm with a sharp blade and squeeze kalamansi on it. That would make anyone wide awake!) Now we’re up to the challenge to find the holy grail of parenting…to give our baby a long relaxing sleep.

Zzzzzzzzzzz…….

No comments: