Wednesday, January 25, 2006

CREATURES OF THE NIGHT

CREATURES OF THE NIGHT

Being an insomniac is fun. (Insomniac in teenage lingo is to stay up late in the night and sleep the whole day.) I got to see how peaceful a normally very noisy neighborhood during the day. Since Navotas main income is from the fish market (that sells fish wholesale during the night), there are restaurants and turo-turo that are open until sunrise. (That goes to the beer gardens too.) The agenda of every teen at that time is to make phone calls. We would stay at Elvin’s house, which is notorious for out of school friends to hang out and line up to use their phone. My friends would hog the phone to annoy unknown residents in the middle of the night and fish for a phone-pal. As a result, everybody stays up until morning until they got to talk to their girl. Everybody has one, except for me. I was the shy type back then, and I never liked the idea of introducing my self to just anyone. I don’t even know what they look like! Anyways, there was a time when Nanay Belle bought a speaker phone, and there was one girl who SOP-ied with all the boys in the room! Jackpot! You can bet that all of us were present the next night for a repeat. Unfortunately, it was a one time only opportunity.

No comments: