Friday, June 03, 2005

WEDDING FILE : THE FINALE

My wife asked me, "When am I going to write the last file of our wedding?" I said I will try and find the time. Lately, I have been working overtime and I can’t seem to find time to write. As a consequence, the number of visitors to this site has dropped...How sad. But now I'm back! And you will have the pleasure to read it. And it goes a little something right this...

Now that everything is prepared, and all the hassles of getting married like unavailable ninang, dress alterations, missing paraphernalia’s etc, I guess we are ready to walk the altar. For our parents who are going to give away their first born there is a little drama involved. For them there was a sudden realization that their children will fall into marriage and leave the family one by one. It is a big change for them, we know. Because when they started out in life almost each year or a couple of years, they make a new sibling for us. And as the family gets bigger, they got used that we are around. Taking care of us became their life long task. For Lany its 28, and for me its 30 years when I left the nest.

My father told me a little story about my mom. There was one time a week before the wedding when my mother shed her tears while doing the laundry. Sad that her only boy is leaving her side, she now remembers her father before their wedding. She said that my grandfather cried for her when it was her time, and that prompted her to cry. I guess everybody will have that experience when the time comes.

And so, before our big day we checked in at The Westin Philippine Plaza Hotel. Lany encouraged my parents to stay with me in my room to make sure that I don’t have the chance to stage my stag party. As if I wanted one..huh! (The truth to this is out there! Just ask my friends...hehe!) She on the other hand brought the whole caboodle in her room one floor above mine. It’s like insurance, just in case yours truly goes commando in the middle of the night for a quick deposit.The room that we got is great! We got the one overlooking the pool. And on our left side is the Manila bay. It’s pretty, day in and day out. In fact, the romantic couple that we had with us (my sister Diane and bf Rodel) couldn’t help themselves, that they moved the chairs to the veranda and spent hours looking at the city lights. But for me that night was spent working on the small things for the wedding. I worked a lot with my laptop to finish the AVP. I learned that it’s not easy doing a 5 minute production in a month. It’s my first that’s why... In the middle of the night her sister Cherry called up to check if I was already sleeping, and invited me over to play Tong-its. Unfortunately, I still have something to finish and I can’t go.

The next day I woke up early and headed for the veranda for a look at the famous pool with just my boxers on. It was awesome! I have never checked in a classy hotel like this. The best place I have checked in was either Anita Inn or Victoria Court, but this is nothing like it! I told myself that I will do this again next time. You bet ya! I snapped several pictures of the view. After a while Rodel was up and we had a bonding talk. He complained about the air-conditioning. He said that it was too cold for him, and that he wondered how I could sleep with my shirt off the whole time. After a while I heard some giggling and a person was calling my name. We looked up and there were faces looking at me...with just my boxers on! It was Lany's family at their 8th floor veranda! I shriveled up and covered my body in shame. Must me what Adam felt when he hid from God. Totally embarrassing!At 10am I already prepared for a long bath. I figured, this is a long day. I don’t want to spend the rest of our special day stinking. After that was a nice snooze while I wait for the paparazzi that we hired to shoot my pictures. An hour later one of the coordinators came to my room and took the candles, the misalettes and the cue card holder. Then I waited again. I was wondering why nobody was attending to me. When I called the brides room they told me that the coordinators, the photographers and the videographer were there to document my wife’s preparation. I would have been jealous of the attention if it wasn’t for the groom’s men. Alfred called on my cell to say that he is in the hotel lobby. When I picked him up I was just in time to meet up with the bridesmaid's and a few other guests. I took them to Lany's room to get their make-up done by Ross Regala. The room was jam-packed! It’s a perfect contrast to my room. At 12NN I decided to get dressed without the photographers. I don’t want to be late because of them. Sayang! That was the perfect photo opportunity for them. In a few minutes my relatives flooded my room. Shortly after that the photographers came in and started to snap their cameras. I felt like one day celebrity! Imagine 3 professional photographers merrily snapping away their cams. I can tell that my parents and relatives were impressed. My parents and I had a great family picture. Cool!

When Arvin my co-staff at the hospital we used to work in and Richelle, my college buddy came in the room it was almost time to leave the hotel and head on to Paco Park Church. Richelle volunteered to get me and the guys there. As soon as we were at the hallway, the guys gave teased me about getting married and what happened to the other girlfriend that they heard about. I couldn’t focus on what they were saying. I’m too nervous. And there was a thought running in my head saying that these are the last minutes of my bachelorhood. I tell you, if I wasn’t in love these thoughts could make any man become an instant a "runaway groom".On the way to the church, Richelle kept asking for the directions. He apparently does not know how to get there. We were just relaying on the map that Lany's cousin Richard made for the guests. The traffic was bad and we knew that we are going to be a little late. My best man Philip gave us a call. He is already at the church waiting for us. He was cussing at Richelle saying that he shouldn’t have brought the groom with him if he doesn’t know the way! So there I was kidnapped. There was only 15 minutes before the wedding starts. Fortunately, we found it!

....stick around for part II

No comments: