Sunday, October 15, 2006

NIRVANA

Me and Peer were having a conversation regarding friends and how being an expat changed our lives. It really does. And then we touched the topic about India and how things are done there. Then I told her about my little cousin who is in Mumbai. She was taken there by her father eversince my Aunt Edith died about 4 years ago. He suggested that I call her. I told her I don’t know what to expect. Years ago when I last spoke to her she was just laughing and giggling like she doesn't know what I'm talking about. I miss her so much, and this prompted me to call her. Since Peer is here, he will help me to talk with them. It's not so easy to understand their English heavily tinted with Hindi.

I was so surprised when she spoke to me. She see to be very bright and outspoken. Her English is very good! She has been trained well in school and she's well mannered. A trait that lacks some Pinoy kids her age. I'm just glad to know that she still remembers me and the rest of my family. The sad part about it is that she didn’t receive any of the letters that I sent her. I don’t want her to forget me or my family. She means a lot to us because she is my favorite aunt's daughter.

The phone call still lingers in my ears. I promised to see her one day. But for now I have to be contented by writing her a letter to let her know what's happening to me.

Its amazing what a phone call can do.

No comments: